Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ok, Ok...

So I learned something about myself the other day. I know absolutely jack about estimating a job's length. Previously I stated that I thought the stocks were only going to take an hour and a half tops. Right... More like three hours sitting on the edge of the bath tub sanding away at one of the four pieces. I do have to say, however, that that particular piece of the stocks is remarkably smooth all over.

Let me just say this. Living in an apartment and having a wood project to work on makes for an interesting time. I had to use the bath tub because of its saw dust collecting abilities and the built in fan for ventilation. Not my preferred spot for using power tools, but hey, you do what you have to right? Also, the coping saw can bite me. After all the time and money I spent trying to outsmart the damn piece of wood, and I still had to use my electric jigsaw to cut level circles for the wrists, ankles, and neck. Thanks to the Coping saw as a matter of fact, I had to go buy some new wood to start over. So now, I have two different pairs of stocks. One tailored to my sweet slave girl and another for a damned Wookiee should one ever wish to submit! What is the point of having a set of stocks that a professional wrestler would find roomy?!

Okay, so its not that bad. Still, it is an agitation. I had purchased a 2 1/4" doorknob drill bit with pilot bit to cut the circles for the wrists. Then I come to find out that the damned pilot bit was too large a diameter to fit into my drill's housing. I mean what the hell is that? Why is a hardware store selling bits to the average consumer when the bits themselves won't fit half the drills they sell? Seriously? Problem after problem after problem; sounds like a project to me.

At any rate, I have all the holes pre-drilled and have attached all the hardware to ensure it will fit together like it should. Despite my issues with the first attempt, I am quite pleased with the results of the second go. The wood is fresh and mostly pristine. I have chosen a red mahogany finish and hope to start applying the first coats by the end of the week (fingers crossed on this estimate). Also, I have added the pattern for hand holes in the foot stocks, allowing me to use them for either legs only, or both hands and feet.

It is truly a labor of love, and I very much look forward to showing them off on my favorite model. No doubt the red of the wood will accentuate the red of her hair quite nicely.

For my next big project, I really really really want a dinning room table like this!

Not an original photo. No details given about originator.

Could be kind of hard to explain to those 'nilla guests though. Still, could be fun!

No comments: